Gdental provides tooth extraction services in New York, NY. Call 212-486-6622 to learn more and schedule your appointment.
Our goal as dentists is to preserve your natural teeth whenever possible through restorative or periodontal treatment. However, a tooth extraction is recommended when decay extends deep beneath the gum, a tooth is cracked or has severe bone loss and/or periodontal disease, or an infection cannot be resolved.
What Happens During a Tooth Extraction
The particulars of the tooth extraction procedure will be based on each patient’s unique needs. The treatment is typically a simple and efficient one, and we make every effort to provide you with a comfortable experience.
Since every patient is different and specific needs vary, not all tooth extraction procedures are exactly the same. After assessing your radiographs and completing a comprehensive clinical examination, Dr. Ana Giglio will review all aspects of the recommended treatment with you so you will know what to expect during the procedure, and provide detailed instructions to ensure a comfortable post-operative healing period. Often times, we will recommend bone grafting at the time of tooth removal to prevent a collapse of the site for future implant placement.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
While we will provide you with comprehensive written and oral aftercare instructions at the time of your appointment, some of the most important guidelines are as follows:
- Use cold compresses or ice packs to minimize any swelling you experience.
- If you are prescribed medication, take it as instructed.
- Get plenty of rest and keep your head elevated when you are resting. Do not overexert yourself or exercise in the days following your extraction.
- Eat soft foods for the first few days after the procedure.
- Brush using the post-surgical toothbrush provided, and follow all home care instructions until the site has finished healing.
- Rinse with saltwater, as directed, after your extraction in order to clean the area and promote healing.
Call 212-486-6622 to schedule your appointment.